Friday, May 30, 2008

That nervous anticipation feeling


Maybe you can relate to this: you have a BIG presentation at work tomorrow, and you are going over your entire performance over and over to make sure it will turn out well. You have written it out, edited it, and now you practice your timing and delivery, synch it up to the powerpoint presentation, and repeat it again. After all, it's the day before the presentation, and did I mention this presentation is BIG? Like, if it doesn't turn out well, your company loses a key client, and your employers not only terminate you for being incompetent, but also sue you for botching up the relationship with their audience? And because you screwed up, you get blacklisted in your career field, meaning that no one wants to hire you? Really, there's no pressure...

In a way, that's what it's like to be me the week of a wedding. Except I do this almost every weekend. A wedding, after all, is the most important day in a bride's life, and it's up to me to make sure that it (and please excuse my bluntness) doesn't suck.

So what did I do this week for ASTRID & CHARLIE'S wedding this Saturday?

Earlier this month, I had a planning meeting with them by phone to finalize the details of the reception. For local clients, I meet them in person, but because Astrid & Charlie are planning this from California, we spoke for about two hours one Friday evening earlier this month and hashed out the specifics of their presentation. They chose the music for certain events (e.g., cake cutting, bouquet presentation, etc.), chose the unique activities to include (e.g., Circle Dance bouquet presentation), and I went over with them the pronunciations of their wedding party and all of the important guests I will need to recognize on May 31.

After the meeting, I got in touch with DIANNA SHITANISHI from Hawaii Weddings & Events (their coordinator), JAMES CHUN from Crane Media Productions (their videographer), and PAUL HAYASHI (photographer) to make sure we were all on the same page, and that they understood all of the unique elements that Astrid & Charlie are including in the presentation. A month before the wedding, things were starting to move fast.

Fast forward to this past Monday, May 26: I had my final in-person meeting with Astrid & Charlie to tie up the loose threads. After the meeting, the final program was put together.

Tuesday May 27, and Wednesday, May 28: scriptwriting, revising, and rehearsing. Taking all of the information that was given to me by the newlyweds, as well as from their coordinator and other vendors, I began putting together a rough script as to what I need to say, and how I should say it. Unlike other MCs who try to wing it through, my take on it is that the bride & groom have spent countless months planning and preparing for this big day. To go in unprepared and try to "wing it" means that an MC disregards all of the planning and prep that the couple has put in to make this day perfect.

Thursday, May 29: The script is finalized, and rehearsals intensify. There's a saying in radio called "hitting the post": this is where the on-air DJ talks over the instrumental introduction of a song and times it perfectly to end his speech right when the vocals of the song begin. At a wedding, there are times like the Grand Entrance in which "hitting the post" makes a subtle yet huge impact on the presentation. It may look easy, but it's not. The reason I make it look easy is because of the hours of practicing and rehearsing beforehand just so that it looks perfect on the day of the wedding.

Also, I begin putting together the musical soundtrack of the event, including making any necessary edits to songs and sound effects to generate a bigger emotional impact on the guests. Some songs are trimmed to start at the beginning of the chorus. Some songs (like the Father/Daughter Dance) are edited to be shorter, so the bride and her dad are not on the floor for a long time. For some moments, an instrumental version of a song would make a greater impact on the event than its normal version, so I scour iTunes, Musicmatch, and Yahoo! Music to find these tracks. Some song requests are not in my collection, so I also look for them.

I also start calling all of the presenters and speakers to make sure they all know their roles, and I can have a better idea of what they will be speaking about. If they are giving a toast, delivering the blessing, serenading the newlyweds, or performing a special dance, then I touch base with them.


Friday, May 30, the day before the wedding: three copies of the final script and timeline are printed and bound, along with some copies of the timeline to share with the other vendors. The musical soundtrack is finalized, and two copies will be burned. Tonight, I go to my storage locker to prep the sound equipment and load it into the van.

Saturday, May 31, the day of the wedding: I will get up late, around 9am, have brunch with my family, and relax all morning. Of course, the presentation will always be in the back of my mind, but I'm not one of those guys who will obsess over it. If I do not know it hours before the wedding, then I will not know it at all. (Just like finals in college!) Fortunately, because I have been rehearsing it over the past few days, I do know my stuff.

Because doors to the ballroom open around 4:30pm, I plan on leaving my house around 2:00pm, giving me enough time to drive down to the Ihilani without rushing. When I get there, I unload the sound equipment, move everything to an area near the ballroom, and wait until I can get access to it around 3:30pm. I quickly set up, soundcheck, and by 4:30pm...it's showtime.

Bonita & Victor, happily married May 2004,
at the JW Marriott Ihilani Resort (same ballroom as Astrid & Charlie's)


With everything right on schedule, I am excited about tomorrow's wedding! It will be a great time!

1 comment:

Metastic Melanoma Warrior said...

As a professional coordinator, I truly appreciate the extra time and dedication that Marino puts into all of his events.

One of my favorite sayings is "failing to plan is planning to fail."

When the countless hours of pre-planning work is done and timing is worked out with all of the vendors and venue concerned, it makes the day fun and memorable for everyone.

I always tell my clients "Just have fun" and with Marino you know they will!

Dianna K. Shitanishi, CPCE, CMP
Hawaii Weddings and Events