Friday, May 09, 2008

I am happy.


I enjoy efficiency, especially when it comes to computer systems which allow me to do my job and serve my clients. So when my trusty HP desktop-replacement PC finally bit the bullet last year, I was heartbroken. So I replaced it with another laptop computer, and I thought life would go on the way it was, and all would be well. Unfortunately, like all PCs sold after the first quarter of 2007, this one was loaded with...Windows Vista.

I had heard horror stories about Vista from IT friends and other colleagues, but I wasn't expecting it to be that bad. To say that Vista was a resource hog is an understatement. Whereas my portable laptop would fly along under Windows XP, the new one would painfully crawl under Vista. I beared it long enough until just recently, when I reached my breaking point and went out to buy a new copy of XP.

It took a day to wipe all traces of Vista from my computer and install XP, then another day to replace all of the drivers and reinstall all of the software I normally use. But after all of that, I am quite happy. My computer flies along really well, and efficiency is back where it is supposed to be.




Since we are talking about efficiency, here is an idea on how to make your wedding reception run more smoothly and efficiently. If you are having someone bless the meal from the podium, it will take some time for that person to walk from his seat to the podium to deliver the blessing. During this time, in order to not have any "dead air" (awkward silence), have your MC handle all of the "housekeeping" announcements--restroom locations, where to find parking validations, where to smoke (for the smokers in your audience), and any other significant announcements that must be made. By the time your MC is done making the announcements, the person blessing the meal should be standing at the foot of the stage or nearby, ready to approach the podium and deliver his presentation.

After the blessing, your MC can make a smooth transition into dinner by recognizing the banquet captain and reminding the guests to wait for the banquet captain to release their tables to the buffet. Your MC should also remind the guests that you have a fun and entertaining program for them after dinner, so please stay after the meal to enjoy the evening's presentation.

Of course, as your MC and party host, I would handle these announcements with style and make sure it all runs smoothly, so that you and your guests can simply enjoy yourselves throughout the entire event!

No comments: