Friday, January 30, 2009

They didn't work out.

One of the joys I get out of doing this is seeing how happy brides and grooms are on their wedding day. With so much emotion invested into this day, it feels really good to see them have the time of their lives.

While I try to stay in touch with my friends (because at that point, I consider my clients my friends), it gets hard sometimes, and occasionally, we lose touch with one another.

So it saddens me when I find out that things didn't work out. Which is what happened today. While on Facebook, I ran into a good friend of a couple who I helped in 2006, a couple whose wedding was one of the craziest, wildest parties I have ever performed. In fact, I still use their clip of the Reverse Garter in my expo booth presentation. Sadly, a few months after the wedding, trouble started brewing, and a year after the wedding, this couple had separated. According to the friend, the bride has already moved on, and the groom lost touch with all of his friends because it was simply awkward to hang out with them when their whole group was tight.



I'm a romantic at heart, and it saddens me to hear stories like this. In a perfect world, every romance is a fairy tale punctuated by the "happily ever after"...but the reality is that the hard part begins after the "I Do's" are said and done with.

Here's my point: cherish your relationships. And realize that while the wedding day can be a challenging time...the real test happens after.

What keeps me going are the many SUCCESS STORIES that happen.

It's always great to hear of couples who are STILL happily married to each other, who have gone on to raise families, buy homes, etc. Like CELIA & NATE, happily married way back in 2000...today, they are still very much in love, raising a wonderful family, and living the dream...



For every couple that didn't work out, it feels good to know that there are 2-3 that do...And that's one of the reasons I keep doing this.

No comments: