Friday, June 20, 2008

Work and My New Addiction




A week ago, I picked up this game at Costco. Two days ago, I got the hang of the online multiplayer mode. And with my bluetooth headset to talk to my teammates, this game has become my addiction, consistently keeping me up until the wee hours of the morning...

Once the novelty of online play wears out, it will be back to normal...

Speaking of work, ROY from Kahana writes in to ask:

Since you do this full-time, what do you do during the day while the rest of us work?


Thank you, Roy, for the wonderful question.

During the week, I actually work for this company I run. Officially, Ninja Entertainment is my employer, and like a good employee, I do have a set time that I go in to work on a daily basis. But because I know the owner, and the owner likes me, I have the flexibility to adjust my day accordingly. :) But in general, this is how my day goes.

I wake up around 6:30am almost every morning, have breakfast with my family, send them off to work, and then take care of my household chores, which include washing the dishes, restocking the water cooler, and making sure the dog has food and fresh water. Then after getting ready, I head out to the office.

At the office, I do paperwork. Like any good business, there is the administrative side of things, so during that time I return calls, set appointments, work on reception timelines, contact wedding vendors who I will be working with soon at upcoming weddings, rehearse the presentation and assemble the musical soundtrack for the next wedding, and write on my blog. Sometimes I will have a meeting with a catering director for a walkthrough of a reception site that I soon will be performing at. At other times, I will have lunch with another wedding vendor, to share ideas and to network. Most people see the five hours of the wedding reception and think that is all I do.

The reality is that I put in at least 40-60 hours before a wedding in order to ensure the success of those five hours of the event.

In the afternoon, if I have a meeting with a client, I stay later in the office for the consultation. If there is no meeting, I get off work around 5:30pm to go for a cardio workout on my road bike or do some weight-training at the gym. By 7pm, I am home, where I have dinner, spend time with family, shower, and get a hit of my new addiction. Somewhere around 2am, I go to bed.

And that is what a typical weekday is for me. Of course, things are different the week of a wedding, because the rehearsals for the wedding presentation intensify. You can read about the experience here.

And you can also read about what happens on the wedding day by clicking here.

No comments: