Monday, June 09, 2008

Lucky part 3

For 6/7/08, I must have been the only wedding vendor not working on that date. The couple who originally had the date, VANGE & RODEL, moved their date to 6/14, and I was not able to rebook any other brides in that time. But that was okay because it gave me the day off to relax and do something I really enjoy doing in my spare time: ride my road bike. Cycling is my sport and passion (in addition to helping brides & grooms have awesome wedding receptions), and I manage to put in in an hour or two on the bike at least three times a week. It is rare, though, to get in a long ride, simply because there is not enough hours in the day, and on weekends, I am usually performing at a wedding. Since there was no wedding last Saturday, this was the perfect opportunity to get in a long ride. And because I had the whole day to myself (since my family had made other plans), I decided to ride around Oahu.

You did read right, I planned to ride around Oahu. For those of you interested in measuring that, it comes out to about 112 miles, and for you sports trivia buffs out there, the distance is the inspiration for the 112-mile bike leg of the Ironman triathlon. But I digress.

I started out at 7:30pm from my home in Liliha, a little later than I originally planned, but I was hoping to make good time. At my pace, it should have taken me six hours to complete the ride, 7-8 if you count in the stops here and there to refuel and rest. By 9am I was in Hawaii Kai, and by 11am I was in Kailua. My first real "pit stop" was at the Makapu'u Lookout. The weather was gorgeous, and the beach looked really inviting.



7-Eleven across from the Hygienic Store in Kahalu'u was the next stop:



I'd say I still look pretty good after riding 45+ miles.



By 1:30pm, I was in Kahuku, where I stopped for Lunch at one of the many shrimp trucks.



Icee never tasted soooo good.




By 2:45pm I was at Sunset Beach, where the weather was still just as gorgeous as it was on the east side of the island.



I reached Haleiwa at 3:15pm. The stretch of road between Haleiwa and Wahiawa (affectionately known locally here as "Pineapple Hill" because of the pineapple fields that the road intersects) is an incline, and when you couple it with a fierce headwind, made for a very, very painful experience. This killed the ride, and fortunately, I had friends who just got off work at Wheeler Army Airfield, and they graciously offered to pick me and my bike up and take me home.

Oh well, maybe next time I'll make it around the island, when I'm in better shape...

My point in sharing this with you? First, to give you a glimpse of what I do when I am not helping a bride create a fun and memorable party experience. Secondly, to show you just how lucky it is to live in Hawaii!

No comments: