Thursday, October 23, 2008

I am CERTIFIED


My clients always tell me that I am a great Master of Ceremonies, but I am always looking to improve on my craft and to become a more valuable resource to you. Which is why I spent the past few days attending an intense advanced training course on learning the art of being a Professional Master of Ceremonies. I'm not talking about the guys who simply emcee weddings as a side hobby. I'm talking about learning how guys like David Letterman, Jay Leno, and Billy Crystal do it. After all, a wedding reception is very much like the Academy Awards--it is a $20,000-40,000 live theatre event that has been produced for over a year, and the Master of Ceremonies is in charge of making sure that everything looks like it is running smoothly. Quite a monumental task indeed.

My instructors were Mark & Rebecca Ferrell, dear friends and mentors of mine. Over the past few days, I spent a lot of time behind the microphone working on what I do, and they spent a lot of time offering constructive criticism and giving me encouragement to do what I do...but better.

Graduation from the class was one of the most important days in my professional career, perhaps even more so than finishing college. After all, the Marbecca Method (which is the system that I learned) is one of only a few systems of certification for the career field of Masters of Ceremonies. And out of the many emcees in the state, there are only EIGHT (yes, count 'em on two hands, EIGHT) certified Professional Masters of Ceremonies here in Hawaii. That means I belong to an elite bunch. But what makes the eight of us very special is that we do not just see your wedding as a side hobby to give you a cookie-cutter presentation...but as helping you create a unique, stress-free, and memorable experience on the most important day of your life.



Here we are, with the Master himself. Thank you, Mark & Rebecca, for bringing the workshop here to Hawaii.

To my clients, I am excited to meet with you again soon, as I have a lot of great ideas to share with you in order to make your own wedding day much more personal, unique, stress-free, and memorable!

To brides who have not booked me yet but read this blog regularly, when it is time to book your Master of Ceremonies, ask them if they are certified. If not, ask them why not. If they tell you that they don't need it, consider this: would you trust your health to a doctor who is not licensed and certified by the state Board of Health?

Things to consider...

No comments: